Our mission is to strengthen and support stamp clubs in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and the Dakotas; to promote philately; and to support and enhance the Northern Philatelic Library. Annual dues are only $20, which gives you borrowing privileges at the Library and entitles you to participate at planning meetings.
Saturday Seminar Series:
On the first Saturday of each month at 10:00am the Northern Philatelic Society presents the Saturday Seminar Series. Presentations coming up in the next few months are:
- On Saturday November 7th at 10:00am Dr Gene Young will have a presentation on Stamps of Common Designs by European Colonial Powers.
There are many philatelic events happening all the time either at the Library or around the Twin Cities area. Here are a few to add to your calendar:
- Saturday 7th November 11:00am to 1:00pm, Library Board Meeting
- Saturday 14th November 11:00am to 3:00pm, Collectors Bourse. Stamp club members and all collectors are invited to participate in this free monthly event. It’s been one year since we started this as a monthly event and it has continued to grow and expand. Just bring your stamps, covers, stories and any other philatelic items to sell trade and buy. There will be refreshments available, so come and participate. It’s like a garage sale for stamp collectors. Come a little early to get the best spot and set up your stuff.
- Saturday 21th November 11:00am to 3:00pm, Working session at the Library. Come and help us catalog and barcode books.
For a full list of events and stamp club meetings see our Events Calendar.
News From the Library:
The election of officers of the Northern Philatelic Society for 2015-2016 was held at the Annual General Meeting convened during the Minnesota Stamp Expo on July 18th 2015. The new set of officers are:
President – Paul Hempel
Vic President – Rudi Anders
Immediate Past President – Dr Gene Young
Secretary – Antonio Len-Rios
Treasurer – Bert Harris
Membership Secretary – Viggo Warmboe
The project to implement a new Integrated Library System (ILS) is moving ahead very well. The project team has selected the KOHA system, which is open source software that was originally developed and implemented in New Zealand in 1999. It is now supported and enhanced by libraries, companies and individuals all around the world and has been implemented in thousands of libraries, big and small, worldwide. All the book data that had been entered into the original Access database has all been converted and moved into the new Koha database. The books cataloging team are moving forward entering books into the new system, placing barcode labels and spine lables on them as they go..
Library Operating Hours:
The Library operating hours were discussed at the Board meeting on the 9th and are as follows:
- Monday 10:00am to 2:00pm
- Friday 1:00pm to 4:00pm
- Saturday 10:00am to 2:00pm
The library is staffed by volunteers which at times makes the hours a little erratic. If you are driving any distance to come to the library, call 763-213-7722 to check that the library will be open when you arrive. There are always functions on at the library on Saturdays between 10:00am and 3:00pm, so come on down and join us.
Access to the library outside of these times can be arranged by calling 763-213-7722.
To review the minutes from the Northern Philatelic Library Board Meeting go to our Meetings page.
Directions to the Library:
We are located at 426 South Wabasha St, Suite B, St. Paul MN, which is in the basement of the building. Access is from the carpark at the back of the building, right across the road from the Boca Chica Restaurant. Come around the back, and there we are!