Our mission is to strengthen and support stamp clubs in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and the Dakotas; to promote philately; and to support and enhance the Northern Philatelic Library. Annual dues are only $20, which gives you borrowing privileges at the Library and entitles you to participate at planning meetings.
Saturday Seminar Series:
On the first Saturday of each month at 10:00am the Northern Philatelic Society presents the Saturday Seminar Series. Presentations coming up in the next few months are:
- June 6th – John Englund will be doing a presentation on “The Engraving Art of Czeslaw Slania”. Czeslaw Slania was a Polish artist who engraved 1000+ stamps for a wide variety of European countries (and even the US).
- The July presentation will be at the Minnesota Stamp EXPO on Saturday, July I8th, at 1 PM, after a short annual meeting. The presentation will be by Jerry Kolton on the topic: AN INTRODUCTION TO WASHINGTON-FRANKLINS. Jerry is very knowledgeable on this topic and will give people who collect this aspect of US stamps some new information on identifying all the varieties of these stamps and introduce the field for new collectors who don’t.
There are many philatelic events happening all the time either at the Library or around the Twin Cities area. Here are a few to add to your calendar:
- May 30th – Saturday Study Day at the Library
- June 13th 11-3 – Collectors Bourse at the Library
- June 14th 10-4 – Second Sunday Bourse at the Best Western Capital Ridge (Kelly Inn)
- July 17th-19th – Minnesota Stamp EXPO at Crystal Community Center, 4800 Douglas Drive N, Crystal, MN 55429. For details go to StampsMinnesota.com.
For a full list of events and stamp club meetings see our Events Calendar.
News From the Library:
It was announced at the Board Meeting on May 9th that the purchase of the webserver to replace the server that David Bushard had provided is complete and the NORPS.ORG website has been moved successfully across to the new server. This project is now complete.
The books cataloging team is investigating the acquisition of an Integrated Library System (ILS) to be used within the Library. An ILS would provide all the functions needed by library staff to catalog material, check books in and out of the library, allow library members to keep list of books that they want to read and lists of books that they have read. It will also provide a catalog search function that can be used by the public when searching for a particular book or topic. The team is looking at two systems; one called Inmagic Geanie and the other called Koho, which is an open source package originally developed and implemented in New Zealand in 2000 and now supported by developers all around the world. We’ll keep you up to date on the selection process.
Library Operating Hours:
The Library operating hours were discussed at the Board meeting on the 9th and are as follows:
- Monday 10:00am to 2:00pm
- Friday 1:00pm to 4:00pm
- Saturday 10:00am to 2:00pm
The library is staffed by volunteers which at times makes the hours a little erratic. If you are driving any distance to come to the library, call 763-213-7722 to check that the library will be open when you arrive. There are always functions on at the library on Saturdays between 10:00am and 3:00pm, so come on down and join us.
Access to the library outside of these times can be arranged by calling 763-213-7722.
To review the minutes from the Northern Philatelic Library Board Meeting go to our Meetings page.
Directions to the Library:
We are located at 426 South Wabasha St, Suite B, St. Paul MN, which is in the basement of the building. Access is from the carpark at the back of the building, right across the road from the Boca Chica Restaurant. Come around the back, and there we are!